Friday 15 December 2017

Book Cover Initial Ideas

I have begun to gather some ideas on which books I could use to design the 3 covers for. I want to design the books covers for books that I am personally interested in to make the brief enjoyable as well as successful. However I am not a huge reader... which lead to my decision of designing book covers for books based on films that I enjoy, the 3 books/films must link through a theme.

My idea is to design book covers based on my favourite Disney films; Aladdin, The Lion King and Cinderlla. These are films/fairytales that I still watch and enjoy to this day. I am going to find the original book versions of these films, as well as reading more modern versions that are designed for children in order to gather a range of initial research to work from. I will also research into Disney and the original authors.

I also thought about other childhood authors and books that I could design the book covers for, such as the Jaqueline Wilson, Dr Suess and Roald Dahl. However, Disney was still my biggest interest. I also think that if I designed covers for example for 3 of Dr Suess' books, they'd be too restricted as the covers would all look too similar and not be imaginative/experimental enough.

Further ideas and tasks for designing covers of 3 Disney books;

    • Research all of the classic Disney books/films that I like, don't restrict; Aladdin, Cinderella, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, The Jungle Book
    • Maybe narrow it to 3 fairytale/princess based books? Cinderella, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast? instead of lion king etc...
    • Read the blurbs and summaries
    • Watch the movies! make notes throughout
    • Listen to the sound tracks; Draw the music! (mark making, collage from imagery/items scenes in the movie using imagery found in magazines)
    • A quote for each book? Aladdin: 'I can show you the world' The Lion King: 'Hakuna Matata' Cinderella: 'Have courage and be kind' generate imagery and typography using these
    • Symbols/illustrations to create for each book; Cinderella: glass slipper, Aladdin: magic lamp, The lion King: a baby lion cub, Beauty and the Beast: a rose, Snow White: an apple, Goldilocks and the 3 bears: 3 bears

 

This week I also went into Waterstones to see what Disney books I could find, I mainly focused on reading the blurbs as well as the cover designs. However, there wasn't a huge range so I am going to visit more book stores over Christmas to see what else I can find, I might also plan a trip Birmingham so that I can visit the Disney store so I can take photographs to use for my designs/create illustrations from.




No comments:

Post a Comment