Monday 19 February 2018

Cell Phone Symphony Poster Development

I have begun to develop my chosen poster out of the 6 initial posters that I created.  Based on feedback from critique group and Ben, the design that I've chosen to develop further is the poster that was based on a drawing music task (the first image). The illustration was created when listening to a song, the notes and rhythm were drawn by hand using marker pens in an abstract and experimental way. This process was repeated 5 times using the same song, I chose to use the most wacky but pattern based design out of the 5. I think the idea of drawing from music links well with the Cell Phone Symphony concept as it also follows the idea of creating musical sounds using technology.

For poster 2, I used the original poster illustration and put it into concept in a social media layout; Twitter. I placed the illustration as if I was going to post it as a tweet. I edited the information on the page to have concert information on instead, e.g. ‘Location; 46 New Briggate’ , ‘Whos in this photo? Golan Levin’. The drawing symbols were taken from the Instagram drawing symbols that are displayed when uploading a story to your page.

Im not really a fan of development 3 as the composition and an overall layout doesn't work as well in a square grid. I used handwritten text to match the hand drawn illustration, however I think it makes it too busy when combined with the handwritten text as there is too much going on at once. However, I developed the idea of using a square grid poster 4 and onwards, this particular grid works a lot better as the squares are smaller which gives a more simplistic look. Poster 4 uses the idea of displaying the Cell Phone Symphony information as a cross word using a square Microsoft Excel grid. I think that grid gives the overall design a more digital look, creating contrast with the drawing. Figure 4 follows the idea of using an extremely enlarged version of the illustration as the background image with different sized squares of the illustration ontop

In posters 5,6,7 and 8, the idea of the Excel grid has been used each time but in a different way. Figure 5 and 6 are very similar as they both use the grid in the same way, as well as typography. Figure 6 also uses the Excel crossword and an enlarged image of the illustration as the background image. However, I used the shapes found in the enlarged background image to place smaller imagery of the illustration inside. Furthermore, figures 7 and 8 experiment more with scale within the crossword typography. Design 7 is similar to design 4, except another enlarged layer copy of the cross word type is added on top.

For poster 8 I also experimented with the scale of the typography by enlarging singular letters within the original crossword and then duplicating the layer 3 times to create a more digital glitchy effect. For some of the designs, I chose to remove the grid lines to exaggerate the crossword typography. Where as the designs that use the grid lines gives more of a digital effect.









No comments:

Post a Comment