Thursday 22 February 2018

Publication 1: Fanzine

Today we started the first publication; a fanzine. The task was to work in groups of 8 to each create a publication of 12 pages (folding 6 pieces of A4 paper).

The first publication task was split into 2 separate tasks; the first task was to create a collage or a graphic intervention and then pass it to your left for the next person to do. As the booklet was passed around each time, you had to follow a common theme used in the last intervention. I found this task fun and interesting as you could see how each persons working aesthetic was different to the last persons, some of the pages were really abstract, while some were very collaged and busy. When creating interventions on based on the previous page, I often focused on a particular piece of imagery that I found interesting, or the colours that were previously used.

The second task was to create an intervention on each page purely using letraset to add typography and language to the collages. The same technique of passing the booklet round each time was used, but this time we passed to our right. Pat gave us a word to focus on for each intervention when passing the booklet around; reduce, collide, scramble etc. I really enjoyed using letraset as I felt that it gave the pieces more personality and quirkiness, some of the language used was also interesting and humorous.

If I was working alone, I think I would have worked purely collage based using just imagery from magazines. Where as working in a group, I was more experimental with drawing on top of the collages using marker pens and ink, I found it interesting when other people were using this method. I also wouldn't have ripped pages and cut through the papers before sticking them down.

I limited myself by often using imagery from magazines which contain people, models or patterns in clothing as I had a lot of fashion magazines, I also stuck to one or two colours when drawing on top of collages. Furthermore, a common theme that ran through my publication was the use of abstract shapes, also the colour green was used on every page which I found interesting.





No comments:

Post a Comment