Friday 23 February 2018

Poster Critique

Today I had a critique of my final (almost) poster, I wasn't sure if I'll actually use this design as my actual final A2 poster so I showed a few other developments too to see if people preferred certain elements from them instead. However, this is my favourite design that I have created so I used this as my final, I will continue to develop this as my final design whilst making a few tweaks to it based on the feedback I received today. I also asked people if they preferred the design with or without the design more.

I received mainly positive feedback throughout the critique, and I mainly agreed with the areas that people said I needed to improve on;

  • Rationale is reasoned and worded really nicely
  • Final design is lovely and fluent, it works best without the cross word grid which seems a bit restrictive
  • Maybe try using different type sizes to create a visual hierarchy, showing what information is most important first
  • Perhaps when the design is finished, print it on quite textured paper to match the quiet, chaotic feel I have here
  • One person preferred the black background; the black text is hard to read over the drawing where the text is a lot clearer to see in white, also with the black background the drawing stands out more
  • Could be nice printed on matte paper stock with the design (illustration) in gloss making it jump more from the page
  • Make each piece of text more distinctive with scale e.g. title should be larger than the rest to provide a sensible hierarchy of information
  • The imagery is successful on giving an impression of music and rhythm. 
  • Make the text a little bit more ledgible
  • Crossword typography does have order, but this is good as it provides a nice contrast to the imagery below it
  • How would more vibrant colours look?
  • Rationale is very good and explains the design very well
  • The typography and the placement of the text works really well, the text works better on the posters with the white background (without grid)
  • The imagery is very successful, the colours are strong and bold
  • To develop, I could try and have some of my typography in different sizes to create a visual hierarchy 
  • Loves the look of how in the illustration when the lines overlap, you can see the change of colour
  • Concept is great and it definitely pushes poster boundaries
  • Prefers without the grid; it could work if I had it really faded in the background or printed my poster onto some sort of graph paper (the blue would work really well)
  • The type works really well, like a crossword, it is puzzling but displays the information in a unique way whilst still being very readable




Final poster after making final adjustments and changes based on feedback:




No comments:

Post a Comment