Sunday 8 October 2017

Rana Begum Occasional Geometries research


I have chose to base my work so far on the artist Rana Begum and her exhibition at the Yorkshire sculpture park; Occasional Geometries. In order to create work that relates and links clearly to her and the exhibition, I have needed to do some research. The main areas that I have researched are her past and upbringing; this has had a huge influence on her work, she talks about how she remembers the tiling and pattern in her local mosque as a child, and how pattern now makes her feel at home.

She also talks about how she was taught as a child that everyone is equal no matter what their colour, religion or culture; "I think thats probably where minimalism allowed me to feel that same thing...It used forms and colours that were recognised by anyone" - https://www.ft.com/content/2f5a18ac-fe7f-11e6-8d8e-a5e3738f9ae4?mhq5j=e5

As well as researching about her life and influences, I did some research on the actual exhibition at YSP. It is inspired by movement and changing light which explains why a lot of her sculptures had shadows and pattern created within them. She also talks about how she tried to give each piece "a soul". 


No comments:

Post a Comment