Monday 30 October 2017

Development of typeface

Since the crit on Friday (of my 5 initial typeface ideas) I have begun to experiment and create more ideas that will work better in relations to my given word 'Anfractuous'. I have kept the same baseline typeface for my developments; Bodoni.

In order to develop my typeface ideas further, I have applied more rules as my previous designs lacked rules and order. The different rules that I have played around with; the amount of curves (5 curves/bends in every letter), add waves to only the straight lines in the letter instead of the curved line, manipulate the letter in a downward or upward direction, create a duplicate of the letter then join to the original letter but keep symmetrical, add one bend each time (a has 1, b has 2, z has 26 etc),always start with Bodoni as baseline.

I have gathered a wide range of experimental ideas that I could possibly develop into my one final typeface design. I have asked my tutor as well as my peers for opinions on which design they think works best and relates to my word the best. The most liked designs; the 'b' on the top right hand corner and the 'a,b,c' on the second row.





This is the design that I have chosen to develop into my final typeface. The meaning behind this design the idea of journeys; it was created by manipulating the original Bodoni 'b' by tracing over it roughly using the pen tool while adding sudden sharp curves and waves along the way; representing the idea of an unsteady journey/road. I feel that the design aesthetically matches the word Anfractuous as well as the meaning and research behind it.


No comments:

Post a Comment