Monday 27 November 2017

Module 2; Studio Brief 1 Starting Point - Ideas and Research

I have begun to generate ideas on how I could explore the colour turquoise for my publication through the colour theories;  Josef Albers – Interaction of Colour (1963) and Johannes Itten – The Elements of Colour (1961)

The colour theories;

Johannes Itten:

  • Subjective Timbro
  • The Seven Colour Contrasts
  • Contrast of Hue
  • Light-Dark Contrast            
  • Cold Warm Contrast
  • Complementary Contrast        
  • Simultaneous Contrast       
  • Contrast of Saturation
  • Contrast of Extension             
  • Colour Agent and Effect  
 Josef Albers:               
  • Optical mixture – The Bezold Effect 
  • The Relativity of Colour
  • Vibrating Boundaries                                         
  • Reversed Grounds
  • Intersecting Colours                                           
  • Subtraction of Colour
  • Film and Volume Colour

I have started by purely coming up with fun ideas that I could experiment with using the colour Turquoise, I chose not to start of with thinking about each theory as I felt that it would narrow my thinking; I will relate and develop each idea to a theory afterwards instead.

The initial ideas that I had;


  • Go for a colour hunt! Go with friends so its more fun, explore places that aren't on the high street
  • Buy turquoise sweets and then photograph them together to show the different shades
  • Beauty products; put the same turquoise lipstick and nail polish shade to show how the colour looks different on different skin tones 
  • Photograph the colour on different paper backgrounds
  • Create a rainbow out of the different shades of turquoise using objects
  • Collage of turquoise papers
  • Print the colour onto acetate and then put onto a camera or glasses so everything is turquoise 
  • Add it into the real world; take photographs of places and then turn everything turquoise, e.g. a picture of a carpark of all turquoise cars, 
  • Visit shops like B&Q and collect colour strips of turquoise

 
I then begun to research into the colour theories in order to narrow my ideas down to three different elements of colour theory for my Pantone Turquoise publication. The colour theories that I was most interested in and that related to my ideas were;

  • Contrast of saturation and light-dark contrast (I feel that these two are very similar in ways); light and dull versions of a colour, the pigments, day and night, light and darkness (nature links?)
  • Contrast of hue
  • Intersecting colours; the idea of layers and angles, creating illusions etc
  • Vibrating boundaries; opposites, contrasts
  • Cold and warm contrast; Turquoise is cool; cold. The idea of weather and tempature
  • Simultaneous contrast; how is one colour seen by different people or in different places, how does it change?


No comments:

Post a Comment