Wednesday 8 November 2017

Inspiration; Moonsick Gang

When researching and experimenting with layout for my type specimen, Moonsick Gang thoroughly inspired my designs; http://moonsickgang.tumblr.com

I was particularly inspired by the use of large typographic forms to dominate most of the page; my designs were influenced by this as I begun to show my typeface on larger scale on my type specimen poster instead of as small pieces of text and words. My typeface letters work best on large scale as they are abstract and irregular.

Also, the layout on these particular Moonsick Gang posters is abstract and bold without becoming too complex and sporadic; the use of large typographic forms with shape and smaller text is effective. I have kept my layout bold, expressionistic but minimal in the same way; e.g I have used large typographic forms in colour from my typeface as the background layer and worked into the design with words and shape in large scale, the rationale was written in 6pt to keep the bold letters as the main attraction and to create contrast.

I also particularly liked how the Moonsick gang pieces stick to a specific colour scheme; 2-4 contrasting colours. This inspired me to narrow my colour scheme down to red and yellow for the background typographic forms and black for the rest (rationale, words from typeface, a-z alphabet). A simple colour scheme looks more professional and simplistic.




No comments:

Post a Comment