Sunday 25 March 2018

Chosen Micro-Genre; Escape Room (OLD)

http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html

When researching and listening to a range of different micro-genres on the website everynoise.com, I discovered loads of interesting genres that I'd never heard of before. The genres that interested me most at first glimpse of the website included; hip-hop, disco, old school hip-hop, r&B, urban contemporary and indie.

I think that the main music genre that I listen to is deep indie r&b; I wanted to find something that related to this micro-genre, whilst at the same time being different and intriguing. I really enjoy discovering new music in my spare time which is why I enjoyed this task so much. After spending the day listening to new genres from everynoise.com, the micro-genre that I have decided to base my brief on is Escape Room;


I found this micro-genre extremely interesting as after listening to a bunch of these artists, I noticed that the genre is very wide-spread, whilst at the same time remaining a link throughout. The micro-genre also really interested me as the mind map displayed some artists that I already love; Anderson Paak, The Internet, KAYTRANADA, NxWorries and Solange, their genres include hip-hop, rap, soul, funk and dance.

Ranked list of the 20 genres that are most similar to Escape Room;


Furthermore, the micro-genre Escape Room was described an interactive “scatter-plot of the musical genre-space” developed by Glenn McDonald, a Data Alchemist at Spotify (via The Echo Nest). Every Noise maps all of Spotify’s genres and their [dis]similarities by pulling from the Echo Nest API, which characterizes every song uniquely along 10 internal indicators, including tempo, loudness, danceability and emotional positivity. 

The genre is explicitly defined by patterns in Spotify's user data. "This is one where the genre comes from collective listening patterns..."- McDonald

According to Every Noise, Escape Room currently ranks #107 out of 1,482 in popularity on Spotify, placing it snugly in between crunk and punk. On a granular level, Escape Room also sits in the 70th to 91st percentile for modernity (#434), femininity (#327), emergence (#260) and youthfulness (#126). After listening to the Escape Room spotify playlists, I have already discovered so many songs that I enjoy, I have begun to list all of the songs that I like in order to later narrow it down to a playlist and create something that I also personally enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment