Friday 9 March 2018

Final Identity Zine Research

As I am developing the Fanzine Factory Publication into an Identity zine, I have begun to research into some collage artists that I find interesting, which will give me some ideas on how to push my collage skills further when creating new and more abstract/experimental collages. I have researched into the work of OOMK and Mat Maitland.

One of My Kind (OOMK) is a collaborative publishing practice led by Rose Nordin, Sofia Niazi and Heiba Lamara. They make, publish and distribute books and printed works from self-initiated projects. Their publications have a highly visual, handcrafted, collaged and vibrant aeshetic. Their publications are based on the imaginations, creativity and spirituality of women. Each issue is based on a different creative theme, with more general content exploring topics of faith, activism and identity. I love the way combine bold colour with pastel colours, I will consider contrasting colours when collaging and editing the imagery that I create. I also like how they place an image/collage with text; fitting it around the image and having it small and simplistic against a big, bold image.

The work by OOMK was relevant in terms of how to communicate the idea of identity through collage and imagery, where as Mat Maitlands work influenced the Identity Zine when thinking about composition, the abstractness of the collages, colour and choice of imagery.


Mat Maitland is a collage artist, he is famous for his surrealist-pop images and films which have been commissioned including Louis Vuitton, Kenzo, Hunter, Tate Gallery, MAC Cosmetics, Nike and more. I love the digital and crisp aesthetic of his collages, it gives the collages more of a rich and sleek style compared to handmade collage which is more rough and playful. I will experiment with creating digital collages in a similar way as at the moment all my collages are handmade.

"Mat pulls off one of the most difficult image-making tricks around, and what’s more he makes it look easy. There’s an awful lot of surrealist collage and far too often it feels like it’s trying too hard, but Mat knows exactly what works and what doesn’t and just as importantly he knows when to stop. So it’s no surprise that big-name clients are beating a path to his door.”  (It’s Nice That)



No comments:

Post a Comment