Thursday 18 January 2018

Final 3 Book Covers Set

These are the final design of these three books covers. I have stuck with the idea of taking the original general animated aesthetic including the characters, and show casing them in the opposite way ; a pixelated 2D illustration, instead of using the colour collage illustrations. Furthermore, I chose choice to use a plain white background and the handwritten typography for the cover as it worked better than any pre-made typefaces and the Excel typography that I created. The handwritten typography is also more playful; sticks to the childlike theme.

All 3 covers follow a consistent colour scheme; sticking with the 4 main colours  that feature in the character illustrations. Furthermore, each book cover uses black for text. The colour of the spine was changed from black to a colour that worked best from each illustration. For the typography for the titles on the spine, I used the Excel typography and changed the colour to black, I think using black for all the text creates consistency and makes the colours pop more.

I have focused thoroughly on creating the background of the back more fun and relevant to the books/movies. To create contrast between the front cover and the back, I have filled the background of the back with of colour and shape, leaving no white space.  The idea behind the shapes comes chunks that have been selected from the illustrations and then made bigger, I thought carefully about composition when doing this. The idea of the overlapping the shapes to create layers and different opacities comes from the concept of the movies being cel animations, this technique was used when animating the movies for each book.

Overall, I am really happy with how my set has turned out, the busier abstract background has had a huge impact on this.




No comments:

Post a Comment