Sunday 7 April 2019

Typography Research

I have started to gather more research into typography- in particular, designers which focus highly on the use of bold and vibrant typography throughout their work. A bold, vibrant overall aesthetic is what I am focusing on as it is most relevant to my target audience (18-24 year olds, young and energetic) as well as helping my message gain maximum exposure. I also think typography that is vibrant whilst being clean and minimal would work well as the message that I am communicating is quite serious.

The two designers that I was intrigued by are Anthony Burrill and Tyler Spangler.

Anthony Burrill is a graphic artist, print-maker and designer, known for his persuasive, up-beat style of communication. He is best known for his typographic, text-based compositions, including the now-famous “Work Hard and Be Nice to People”, which has become a mantra for the design community and beyond.

I am interested by how his work focuses highly on chunky, minimal, Sans Serif typography communicated through print. The minimal, large typography gives the pieces a loud, bold aesthetic which is important towards communicating a message instantly. I also think the use of a limited colour palette (2-3 main colours) is successful.




Tyler Spanglers work takes bases his work around aspects such as Pop art, mental health, Surrealism, Dada, and humour. His work takes inspiration from a range of different eras, he particularly loves the psychedelic styles of the 60s, the hardcore punk styles of the early 80s, and the grunge styles of the 90s. Furthermore, his clients include: Chanel, Hermès, Nike, Outkast, Penguin, Red Bull, Samsung, Tumblr, Volcom.

He explores the significance of colour, form, and photography through the medium of his digital collage. However, I researched more into his bright, typography based pieces. I loved the psychedelic, vibrant, experimental aesthetic that he focuses on through typography- I was really intrigued by how these pieces focus on a vibrancy through interesting composition and patterns combined with colour whilst contrasting with an overall sleek design. 



No comments:

Post a Comment