Saturday 12 May 2018

Final Flag

After developing my flag and making all the changes that were mentioned on Thursdays critique with Ben and peers, I now have a final flag design that I am happy with. I focused thoroughly on the 3 aims that I had for the flag; to communicate the idea of late night listening, radio and disco all into one design but in a more minimal way than the initial designs. The genre Quiet Storm was originally a radio format from 1976 specifically made for late night listening, consisting of disco and soul music.

The three colours main colours that I used for the flag are inspired by the initial 5 colours that I researched, the dark colour blue takes its inspiration from the fact that Quiet Storm was first originally made for late night listening, where as the bright pink relates to disco, pink also relates to soul as soul music lyrics are mainly about love; the colour psychology of pink is unconditional love and nurturing. The white is inspired by where Quiet Storm first started; Quiet Storm was pioneered Melvin Lindsey, while he was an intern in Washington, D.C, a popular tourist attraction in Washington is the White House. The 3 colours used in my flag are also used in my J-Card which links them both together nicely in a subtle way. Also, the image of the African American woman relates Quiet Storm, as the the listening audience back in the 70s was mainly "upscale urban" African Americans.

Also, the moon figure in the night sky background has been developed and replaced with an image of an old school radio dial with a disco ball. The shape of the disco ball takes is inspired by a crescent moon, this was done so that the moon figure is more obvious, rather than just looking like a collaged circle.

Furthermore, the small type that I have placed around the moon shows the original radio station that Quiet Storm was played on 'WHUR 96.FM'.  I have placed the type to fit around the moon figure so that it looks like a part of the collaged moon, instead of being randomly placed somewhere.

I am really happy with the end flag design as the minimal style works a lot better as my earlier flag development designs looked a little bit too all over the place and busy. I think the minimal style also exaggerates the idea of late night listening, giving off a funky disco night aesthetic whilst also displaying a retro aesthetic because of the 70s radio dial and fuzzy old school quality figure of the African American woman.


No comments:

Post a Comment