Thursday 10 May 2018

Flag Development

I have now started to develop my flag design further after having a mini crit on them on Tuesday. Some suggestions that were made were to make it more disco by perhaps replacing the moon with a disco ball or a radio dial, or combining them into one shape. The idea of adding the imagery of radio is relevant as it plays on the idea of Quiet Storm starting as a radio format. Another suggestion that was made was to take away the type and maybe replace it with some language/type related to the original radio channel; WHUR 96 FM, also the remove the hot air balloon. Another general thing to change was the colour palette to look slightly more 70s/80s appropriate, matching the J-Card


This was the design that I showed in the critique

These are the first 2 developed designs after the critique, the pink colour was changed to match the pink in the J-Card, I also added yellow into the second design to match the J-Card. The second design is the more developed version as it includes more imagery that was suggested, the type was changed to 'WHUR 96.FM, Washington DC 1976' to tie in with the original radio station. I also added line drawings for a more detailed and radio reminiscent look; the radio dial around the moon as well as an illustration which I created from a photograph of a 70s radio. 

However, I think maybe the second design is too detailed, there is too much going on, simplicity works better.


After speaking to Ben this morning, we decided that the simpler designs work best and that I should simplify my design even more than the first design. The main aim ideas that I am trying to communicate throughout my flag design is disco, radio and that fact that the genre was originally made for late night listening, the flag should include elements of each idea but in a minimal but effective way. I took away the white border as it was un-needed, the sky background exaggerates the idea of night time as well as the moon, I also took away the green shapes as they were irrelevant.

Simpler design number 2 experiments combining the disco, radio, and moon into the same image, I think this works extremely well as it communicates all of the 3 flag aims into one, instead of using loads of separate imagery to over complicate the flag. The colours were also refined down to 3; blue, white and pink, the blue and the pink are the same shades as the blue and pink in the J-Card.

The last design is my favourite so far, I may possibly use this as my final flag design, it just needs tweaking a little now; the type around the circle needs refining. The type on the flag uses the key information of the Quiet Storm radio format from the 70s.

Simpler design 1

Simpler design 2

No comments:

Post a Comment