Wednesday 13 March 2019

Reflecting On Research (The Message)

As I was unable to attend Mondays research presentation due to a sprained ankle, I was able to send a PDF of my presentation to Dom in order to receive the 'Green light' so that I can begin to move forward with my project.

In the email Dom mentioned that it was good to see me engaging with a range of research methods to inform my understanding into the topic. Moving forward she mentioned that I should now begin to reflect on my research and should now be developing a response; consider what message you want to communicate and the most appropriate way of communicating this message.

Additionally, through the research I have gathered (reading, articles, websites, videos, podcasts, surveys, contemporary graphic design) I have gained a lot more knowledge on the issue (Social Media and its Effects on Self-Esteem and Relationships) I have also focused on a range of different areas and points of view within this issue which will be extremely helpful when moving forward and thinking about the message that I want to communicate.

The areas I have focused on involve:

  • How social media effects our relationships with other people- comparing ourselves to others, how easy it is to stalk people and find out more than we need to know about them...can lead to our opinions of people changing, communication being miss-read

  • The effects that it has on our communication skills (links to our relationships with other people)- miss-read situations/messages, shortened attention span when having face to face conversations, the need for emojis

  • The effects social media has on our self esteem and mental health- comparing ourselves to others, FOMO, using it as a distraction from our real self, appearing happier online

  • The fake version that we show of ourselves on social media- we choose to show our happiest and best looking photographs, which can work as a mask on how we actually feel and what is actually going on in our lives.

All of these areas are extremely link back to the effects social media has on who we are as people and our self esteem. Additionally, this issue splits into the 4 points that I have mentioned above which in the end merge together as the same and bigger issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment