Friday 22 March 2019

Final Map

Today I had a little chat with Dom so that I could decide on which designs to develop further for my final map, as I am running out of time since my screen printing slot is on Tuesday so I was getting quite stressed and felt that I was thinking too much into it. I mentioned that in my critique on Monday everyone liked the 28 pink shades designs the most but that it would be way too difficult and time consuming to screen print. I showed Dom my developed designs and explained the concept to her.

Speaking to Dom was extremely useful as I have now been able to develop my map towards a final design. She agreed that the 28 shades would be quite hard to do and time consuming but she gave me interesting ideas of how I could communicate the '28 items' concept in a more minimal way. Dom also mentioned that I should continue to use the coloured squares and to experiment with composition.

Below shows the first development design towards the final, it uses the original map in Black with the pink journey line on top. This design uses 28 squares which represent where I saw the 28 items of pink clothing whilst on my journey. The squares also create an interesting contrast with the black map lines underneath.


The design was then developed through making the black map layer more minimal in order to make the pink squares stand out more as they communicate they concept. I am happy with how this looks now as it successfully communicates the concept behind my map in an interesting way. I also really enjoy the overall abstract aesthetic. 

The final design communicates the idea of 28 different pink items seen along the journey without having to actually screen print 28 shades.

Final Map for screen print shown digitally

Digital Positives

Furthermore, I am also going to print a digitally printed version of this map which will use the 28 different shades: one shade of pink per square. I really liked the 28 different shades of pink actually shown, in critiques those were the designs that were found most interesting as well. This design will be printed double sided with the square containing the 28 different pinks on the other side to make it more exciting and to exaggerate the whole pink concept.

Digitally printed map front design

Digitally printed map back design

No comments:

Post a Comment