Friday 15 March 2019

Developing Research Ideas (Message and Audience)

Today I had a chat with Dom in which I explained my 'issue' and the specific areas of it which I want to focus on and develop further. I briefly talked through the research I have gathered and how I could take this research into the development stages of the project as I begin to think about the message I want to communicate.

I mentioned that I had a lot of research and wasn't sure how to 'suddenly' start visualising it, but she mentioned that this was a good thing and that I should be thinking more about the message I want to communicate and the ways in which I could do this- instead of thinking about final designs too soon. Gathering a wide range of different types of research has been useful as all of this will influence how I move forward, lack of research would effect my initial idea stages.

I have decided that I want to take forward the idea of using splitting the issue 'The effects that social media has on us' into 4 areas within it, as the research that I have gathered highly focuses on these 4 areas and they all link together, which is how they all combine to create the overall issue.

1. How it reflects our relationships with other people

2. The effects it has on our communication skills

3. The effects it has on our self esteem and mental health

4. The 'fake' version of ourselves that we choose to display online

The message:

Aim to communicate and inform the public on the issue (how social media effects then and the extents that it can effect them to), communicate the 4 areas within the issue but then also focus on how to overcome/avoid these issues. This works to educate and inform the audience on the issue but then also aims to have a positive impact on the audience- solving the issue!!!

Audience:

18-24 year olds- research shows that they are most active on social media. This could influence the aesthetic that is used to communicate the issue (young and active)

Experimentation/development ideas:


  • The aesthetic and design development should be relevant to the audience and influence the production methods used- Bold and vibrant whilst remaining minimal and clean as the message is quite serious- A bold, serious tone.
  • Young and bold colours (avoid pastel, more like electric blue, magenta/red, yellow etc)
  • Physical production would have more of an impact and help the message gain more exposure into the word which is useful and required as social media is EVERYWHERE. Tote bags, t-shirts, stickers
  • Focus on design for screen too as the issue is social media related, design for screen is most relevant and would be seen more. 
  • Design for screen- 4 animated illustration based posters, each one focuses on one of the areas within the issue (4 areas altogether). Animated posters for screen/billboards are more exciting and relevant to the young audience. Could also be made into physical production/flags?
  • The outcomes/designs should be able to be communicated and shown on social media as well, as this is the issue.
  • Combination of physical production and design for screen

No comments:

Post a Comment