Monday 4 March 2019

Map Initial Ideas

The map must aim to show thorough research and experimentation with ways of mapping and recording journeys within Leeds.  The concept and research should be reflected clearly throughout the experimentation and production of the final map- the method of how I want to display the map should be a considered within the earlier stages of the project.

So I have now started to come up with some initial ideas for map concepts which could be interesting...things to consider could include interesting ways of navigation such as smell, colour, repetition etc, obscure ways of viewing/reading a map, interesting/hidden areas in Leeds, repeated symbols/places within the city etc. The map could even be based on personal interests relating to the local area.


  • Map based on personal interest and my favourite colour: PINK. Ways in which I could do this is maybe a map/a journey connecting and showing all of the pink buildings and sights in Leeds.

  • Another idea for a map based on the colour pink could focus on how many times I see someone wearing the colour pink whilst walking through town. This could have a rule such as a time limit of half an hour, or to a certain location...the location could be a pink building.

  • A map of all of my favourite places in Leeds; this would include places like my favourite bar (Belgrave), my favourite shop/shops in town, my favourite restaurant (Zaap), my favourite pub in (Hyde Park Pub), my favourite place to go when its sunny (Hyde Park) etc...

  • A map based on a certain word; I would record every time I heard/saw a certain word whilst walking through town and map the locations in which this happened. The word could be something related to Leeds or even something completely random.

  • Another idea could focus on a map which records how many times I see a certain item of clothing worn in Leeds, something typical and cliche that is worn too much in Leeds could be fun and quite humorous.

At the moment my favourite initial ideas are the ones that focus on the colour pink. This is because I think they have a clear concept as it is different, based on personal interest and not over complicated which means I could thoroughly experiment with interesting ways of showing it, I also think I could reflect the concept really easily through the aesthetic. Whereas for example the idea which focuses on my favourite places in Leeds could become too complicated and less focused maybe as it loads of different types of places.


I will gather some research into maps which focus on similar and interesting concepts and also ask peers for advice on which ideas they find most interesting or appropriate to myself. I will also gather research into the concept that I like the most (the pink map ideas)



No comments:

Post a Comment