Friday 27 April 2018

Badges

For my object, I have decided to go with the idea of badges. Badges were a really popular accessory/detail for youngsters in the 70s/80s, this relates perfectly with my genre. Badges also have an extremely retro aesthetic to them which I really enjoy.

I have begun researching into badges from the era of Quiet Storm and have found some really interesting imagery and language that is used on the badges. The badges that I found were often used as merchandising for bands and artists, I could create badges based on bands that appear throughout my playlist as well as using retro imagery similar to the imagery that I have used in my designs so far, but simplified a little.

Design ideas for the badges;

  • The 5 objects research that I did when starting the brief; disco ball, roller skates, aviator sunglasses, radio, flower
  • Radios/radio details: My genre Quiet Storm started out as a radio format in the 70s. I think imagery inspired by radios could look really sleek whilst maintaining a nice retro aesthetic
  • The yellow smiley face symbol: the classic Smiley arrived in the early 1970s, this was a common symbol which was used on t-shirts and badges. It was also known as 'the acid house symbol'
  • Radio wave patterns
  • 70s wallpaper and clothing patterns; abstract shapes and details using burnt colours
  • Band logos and illustrations of the artists from my playlist
  • Simple badges which use the 5 phrases that I research: my favourites were 'hip to the groove' and 'get down'
  • Cassette illustrations
  • Repeated patterns using the imagery of my 5 objects
  • Imagery of the symbols that I created last week




I have found a website which allows you to create your own custom badges: http://www.awesomemerchandise.com/

This is extremely useful for me as at the moment I don't own the correct materials for creating badges, and it also means that they'd be done professionally and look clean. Also, this website isn't too expensive, I could get 10 badges using 5 different designs which would mean I'd have an extra copy of each badge design. This would cost £7 if I went with 25mm, or I could either go for 38mm which would cost £9. I think going for the 38mm might be better if my badge designs consist of small details.



No comments:

Post a Comment