Friday 20 April 2018

J-Card Designs

Today I have begun to create my J-card designs based on my micro-genre 'Quiet Storm, using imagery made for the flags yesterday as well as creating new imagery today using bitmap and threshold as the J-cards will be created using the technique of screen print. The J-cards were created using templates from a website that Pat had sent; https://www.duplication.ca/printspecs/cassette-cover-templates.htm

For most of my J-card designs I tried to visually combine the disco/upbeat side of the Quiet Storm genre with the melodic, intimate, romantic lyrics that run throughout my playlist visually. I considered colour and composition thoroughly throughout all of my designs, taking inspiration from the research that I have done as well as looking at previous album/record covers for Quiet Storm.

I really enjoyed using a limited colour palette with loads of funky imagery and textures. I think a limited colour scheme works best to give the designs more structure and personality.

My favourite J-card designs are J-card 1 and 2. However, I really like the outside of J-card 3 as it successfully represents the disco/dancey theme that runs through my playlist, I also think the imagery is effective as the roller skates and glasses work well with the textured disco background. J-card 1 and J-card 2 take their colour palettes from my 5 chosen researched colours; mainly purple and yellow, I love these two colours together. Both designs give a collaged aesthetic which I really enjoy, I might combine the 2 designs together for my final J-card design.

My least favourite design is J-card 4, which is un-expected because it uses the flag design that was everyones favourite out of the 6 I created yesterday. I think the layout is maybe too busy, also the colours aren't very 70s era, I think I'd like the design if the colour palette was changed and limited, as well as simplifying the layout. I think a block colour textured background would also work better.

J-card 1 

J-card 1 inside

J-card 2

J-card 2 original inside

J-card 2 inside if I used a longer J-card sleeve

J-card 3

J-card 3 inside

J-card 4

J-card 4 inside

J-card 5

J-card 5 inside

No comments:

Post a Comment