Thursday 26 April 2018

PomPom Typeface

I have now created another typeface using objects that I bought based on my genre 'Quiet Storm'. I bought a range of different crafty bits that communicate my genre through the choice of certain colours, sparkles/glitter and textures, however I decided to use just the pompoms to create my final typeface. The pompoms communicate the disco and upbeat side of my genre through the bright colours and the metallic/shiny bits that appear in the pompoms.

The circles also represent the idea of a disco ball as well as 70s pattern: the rule was to only use repeated circles, this is why I didn't use the other crafty bits (they weren't circular). 70s fashion and interior was popular for the use of repeated and abstract pattern, I tried to play on this throughout my typeface.

I really like this typeface as it communicates the upbeat, fun disco aesthetic that I was trying to achieve successfully, it works a lot better than the initial typeface idea that I had. Using objects to create my typeface instead of creating it purely digitally worked a lot better as I prefer to work more handmade and crafty, I also think that a handmade aesthetic is more 70s/retro appropriate, as digital may look too contemporary and modern.



I have started to edit my typeface to see what it would look like in context as actual words. The word 'groove' in inspired by one of the phrases that I found interesting when researching: 'hip to the groove', this was a popular slang term which was used in the era of Quiet Storm; meaning down with the music.

I will now start to experiment with adding my typeface into the designs that I have created. I will need to bitmap/threshold my typeface so that I can screen print it for my J-cards or flag designs, I will try to keep all the little details in the pompoms when I edit.



No comments:

Post a Comment