Wednesday 18 April 2018

British Library Archive Photos

Pat set us the task to use the website Flickr to find 10 images that relate to our micro-genre in some way, specifically 10 photographs from the British Library Archive. I struggled a little bit at times with this task just because of how historical and old most of the photographs were, since my genre is from the 70s era; consisting of disco, soul, funk and jazz. However, after searching more through different albums I managed to find some images that linked to my genre Quiet Storm.

When looking for photographs that related to my micro genre I looked back at my 25 items research task which made it a lot easier. I also thought about the audience of the micro-genre, as well as colours and instruments that relate.

1. Drums; a typical instrument used throughout Quiet Storm music.


2. This image reminded me of 70s colours and patterns that was often worn and used in general. The 70s consisted of a lot of burnt and muted colours within day time wear, as well as interior and cars.


3. This image reminded me of 70s fashion because of the large flares in her sleeves.


4. African lady: the listening audience of quiet storm was mainly "upscale urban" African Americans.


5. This image relates to one of my phrases; "baby boomers". Quiet storm was most popular as a programming niche with baby boomers from the mid-1970s to the early 1990s


6&7. These images are reminiscent of a disco ball; the first image being more about the shape, where as the second image reminded me of the pattern and texture of a disco ball.


8. This is my favourite photograph out of the 10. Flower patterns were extremely popular in clothing and interior during the Quiet Storm era.


9. Moon; "The Quiet Storm" was first a four hour long radio format consisting of melodically soulful music that provided an intimate, laid-back mood tailor-made for late-night listening


10. Nearly all of the songs in the genre Quiet Storm relate to love, often lyrics about intimacy.


No comments:

Post a Comment