Thursday 5 April 2018

NEW Chosen Micro-Genre; Quiet Storm

http://everynoise.com/engenremap-quietstorm.html

I have decided to change my chosen Micro-genre from Escape Room to Quiet Storm. I chose to do this as there wasn't enough to research for Escape Room as it isn't a very popular genre; the genre is explicitly defined by patterns in Spotify's user data. There was only a couple of articles which I could use as research, this would mean that I'd hit a creative block very early on in the project and not know where to go with it, so it was important to choose a different genre.

When researching a new genre, I decided to research into older music genres rather than really contemporary ones like I did when starting the project. I find that older genres have a lot more personality to them as well as more research material which will help me. Furthermore, I have always loved 70s/80s disco music, so I begun to listen to the old disco-related genres on everynoise.com.

The micro-genre that I have chosen is Quiet Storm. Quiet storm is a micro-genre which consists of contemporary R&B, jazz fusion and pop music that is catergorized by understated, mellow dynamics, slow and fast tempos, and relaxed rhythms, whilst still containing an upbeat 70s and 80s disco aesthetic/vibe. It was pioneered in the mid-1970s by Melvin Lindsey, while he was an intern at the Washington, D.C. radio station WHUR-FM. This format was named after Smokey Robinson's 1976 album A Quiet Storm. The listening audience of quiet storm was mainly "upscale urban" African Americans. The term quiet storm became a blanket term for mellow or soulful slow jams and smooth jazz of the sort played by radio programs influenced by Melvin Lindsey's format.

Quiet storm remained popular from the late '70s into the early '90s, when mainstream R&B took on a harder-edged hip-hop influence. When looking at the mindmap for Quiet Storm on everynoise.com, I was instantly interested as it included artists that I love!; Earth, Wind & Fire, CHIC, The Jacksons, Stevie Wonder and loads more;


Ranked list of the 20 genres that are most similar to Quiet Storm;

No comments:

Post a Comment