Monday 23 April 2018

Radio Waves and Dials Research

Since my genre "Quiet Storm" started out as a radio format from the 70s, invented by Melvin Lindsey, I have started researching into actual radios; radio waves/patterns and radio dials. I think imagery like this would be an interesting contrast with the photographs/imagery that I have already used for my flag and J-Card designs. Furthermore, the object that I create could be based on/inspired by an actual radio.

Radio dials are used for tuning. I really liked the aesthetic of the radio dials below, the image was a collection which was curated by Michael Feldt for the Indiana Radio site, which is a huge  information database for antique radio enthusiasts. In particular, I like the idea of a circular pattern combined with tiny numbers and symbols, I think numbers and circles would be a nice little detail to interpret into my designs.

Sound waves are longitudinal waves that must pass through a medium, such as air. Echoes are reflections of sounds. The frequency of ultrasound is above 20 kHz. The basic building block of radio communications is a radio wave. A radio wave is generated by a transmitter and then detected by a receiver. An antenna allows a radio transmitter to send energy into space and a receiver to pick up energy from space. Transmitters and receivers are typically designed to operate over a limited range of frequencies.

I also think radio waves patterns would be an interesting element to add into my designs. I would either create the radio wave patterns by hand and then scan them in for a handmade contrast, or I would create them using vector shapes on Adobe Illustrator.

Radio dials

Vintage radio tuning dials

Sound waves variations

Waves; Chemistry principles, patterns, and applications

No comments:

Post a Comment