Wednesday 25 April 2018

Typeface Initial Ideas

We were set a task to create a typeface based on our music genre. For my typeface I have played on the idea of 70s/80s pattern as simple pattern was a huge part of clothing and interior during the time period of my genre. I started by sketching a few ideas of patterns and paths that I could go down when creating my typeface, I have also bought a few crafty bits and bobs that I could use for creating my typeface.

I've created my initial typeface ideas by hand as I am just generating ideas at the moment, I will possibly create a typeface digitally if its appropriate for the design. I also think a handmade aesthetic is a lot more retro, digital is more contemporary whereas my genre is from the 70s/80s.


This is a quick little typeface that I have created which plays on the idea of repeated pattern, inspired by 70s clothing and interior design. Im not really a fan of the typeface and don't think I will be developing this further, however I think individual letters extremely enlarged or extreme cropped could be an interesting element to use within my designs. As a typeface, it isn't successful in terms of communicating my genre, it doesn't have the retro aesthetic that typical typefaces and designs had in that time era. I think I will try creating a typeface using the crafty objects that I bought as that will create a lot more personality; a fun aesthetic.




No comments:

Post a Comment