Thursday 26 April 2018

Typeface/Album Cover Research

I have begun to research into previous Quiet Storm album covers from the 70s/80s and album covers from certain artists that appear throughout my playlist. Below are a few that I really enjoyed the aesthetic of, the retro style is very clear to see throughout all of the covers. However some of these album covers have more of a R&B aesthetic (image 2 and 3) whereas as images 4,5 and 6 have more of a retro, soul music aesthetic, this shows that my genre is a mix of upbeat 70s/disco music with more melodic soul music, whilst still working together through the links because of the vocals and 70s/80s vibe that runs throughout my playlist.

My favourite covers out of all of these are image 2 and image 4. I like image 2 as it looks the most contemporary out of all of them, I also really love the R&B/hip hop aesthetic of it through the use of dark and bright colours combined with the interesting photograph. The typeface used is also extremely interesting, I like that it doesn't look digital, it has a nice rough/abstract aesthetic which is more appropriate to the era of my genre.

Image 4 is also one of my favourites, one reason why I enjoy it is because of the retro and limited colour palette that is used, the off white/cream with the faded red gives a really nice old fashioned retro aesthetic, it looks a lot more 70s than some of the other covers. I also like the contrast between the two typefaces used, the 'CHIC' looks a lot more abstract than the 'LE FREAK' which has a more simplistic, clean aesthetic.




No comments:

Post a Comment