Monday 16 April 2018

Signs and Flags

Pictograms are used to warn, guide or protect and need to be immediately decipherable- They intend to visually convey a vital piece of information in such a way that it cannot be misunderstood.

We were set the task to use Frutiger's Morphological Table to choose signs which we thought represented the words object, container, protection, beginning and end;
  • Object: 2b
  • Container: 3c
  • Protection: 2c
  • Beginning: 1b
  • End: 2d


Semantics: relation between signs and the things to which they refer. Semantics are basically summarised by links to context, knowledge, society and culture.

Syntax: relations among or between signs in formal structures.

Pragmatics: relation between signs and sign-users or interpreters.
Example: the smoking signs; 
  • Indicative: The burning cigarette informs the viewer that they may smoke here, but that they don't have to.
  • Imperative: When the burning cigarette sign has a dash through it, the sign intends to influence the viewer’s behaviour; meaning smoking is prohibited.
  • Suggestive: It represents an appeal to stop smoking fo reasons of health; setting off feelings within the viewer.
We then learnt about the 4 basic signs that are commonly seen everywhere in daily life: square, triangle, circle, arrow and cross.
  • Square; a symbolic object, boundaried property or a dwelling place with the feeling of floor, ceiling, walls, protection, etc.
  • Triangle: obtains a direction giving character, with movement transferred from the vertical to the horizontal. Horizontal  triangles are ideal for background signals, the symmetry gives an impression of stability.
  • Circle: More personal to the viewer; the viewers will place themselves either inside or outside the circle.
  • Arrow:  The arrow gives the expression of a movement or direction. Angles pointing to right or left have a stronger movement than those pointing up or down.
  • Cross: The absolute embodiment of symmetry.

Otl Aicher: Olympic icons, Munich Games in 1972. 
Aichers purpose was to create signs for the event which acquired a radically different visual identity than the 1936 Games exploited by the Nazis for their own ends. The overall sign was a modern, vibrant look that carried the then West Germany’s sense of being a democratic, open society into the world at large. 


We then got set the task to use Aicher’s 45° grid to create 5 signs that we may later use as
the basis of (or part of) our A1 flag based on our micro-genre. For my signs, I mainly used ideas from my objects, words, textures and other found items from our micro genre, we drew out the signs onto isometric paper. The signs were created quickly and roughly as little sketches which we could then choose the best ones to develop further and re-create if we wanted to.

Personally, I didn't really enjoy this task as the digital aesthetic of grids and signs doesn't really link in with my micro-genre at all as my genre is the opposite to this; very retro/vintage and 70s era. I can see why it would relate to other peoples genres though. 



Using our 5 words/phrases, we were then able to pass the paper around in a group of 8 to receive ideas for signs off other people relating to our micro-genres. I found this useful and interesting as a lot of people approached my words/phrases in very abstract ways:


Using all of the signs created by me and my peers, I had to choose a few of my favourites to re-create digitally. I really didn't enjoy creating them again digitally as I really don't like working purely digitally, my working aesthetic is more handmade and experimental, which is why I don't think I'll be using any of these signs on my final A1 flag. I think my digital signs look a little bit too minimal:




In the mini critique it was mentioned that the more simplistic illustrative symbols work best, in particular the wine bottle and glasses. I will create more of these but more detailed as there really wasn't enough time to add any details or structure. Also I think I'll use a normal square grid as I find that a lot easier, also because I really enjoyed using an Excel square grid to create illustrations in a previous module. 

No comments:

Post a Comment