Thursday 11 October 2018

Chosen Book Brief Theme

I have decided to base my brief off the idea of language. The theme of language originally came to mind when I was researching about Barcelona, I discovered that there are 4 main languages spoke in Catalonia and I also find language in general very interesting. However, basing my brief off Catalonia/Spanish languages would be very hard as I don't speak it myself, nor have I ever tried to learn it or lived in Spain.

I then thought of the idea of basing my publication on my second language- Urdu, which I am fluent in. This would be a lot more appropriate as I already know a lot about it as it has always been a part of my life the same way that English has. I instantly found this theme more interesting from the second I came up with it.

More notes from mind map;

  • For typography, play with Arabic text/letters as that is what is used for Urdu; follow this sort of aesthetic throughout maybe but don't think too into that yet
  • Manipulate english letters to look like Arabic letters
  • Celebration of the language Urdu
  • Arabic is quite a rich language and so are the letters so techniques such as foiling and a hard back cover could be appropriate for a clean, rich look.
  • Write about the history of it, where its spoken, how it evolved, what it means to me personally etc
  • Write about the beauty of it- the language/way it is spoken is very polite and delicate
  • How were old Arabic books or books in that area of Asia made? what were the very first techniques? RESEARCH this- maybe they used letter press etc? I could use the same techniques in my publication if possible and appropriate. Woodblock printing was one of the first methods used in Asia.
  • Search for Arabic typography/asian imagery in town for photographs and references to use

Arabic alphabet (this is different to Urdu language but the alphabet is used in the same way)

Arabic text foiling

Example of woodblock printing in Asian aesthetic pattern

No comments:

Post a Comment