Tuesday 16 October 2018

Possible Cover Issues

I have been thinking about and sketching possible ideas for my front cover. I know that I want to use both embossing and foiling on my cover, however there are some issues which could occur when doing these techniques together.

I would have to do the embossing on the cover first as one of the steps with embossing is to soak the paper; if I foiled first, the foil would get ruined in the water. This is something that I will need to test next week after I have had my foiling induction.

The other option is to emboss the cover without wetting the paper, the only problem with this is that the embossed paper won't give as an effective look (won't be deep enough) but I think if I put the paper through the roller double the amount of times as I would with damp paper, I may be able to get the same effect on dry paper. I will test both of the methods.



Additionally, I have bought some foil ready to use for my cover: silver, holographic, gold and red. Since I want my book to have a rich aesthetic, I felt that gold and silver foil would be most appropriate as they are rich, classic colours. Red relates to Urdu/asian countries as a lot of the asian flags use the colour red. Furthermore, I purchased holographic as I saw a book in Waterstones last week that uses holographic foil for the cover which I really loved as it gave a really delicate but funky aesthetic. I will try out all the covers to see which works best and which is most appropriate.


No comments:

Post a Comment