Wednesday 17 October 2018

Village Research

Today I visited Village (an independent bookshop and gallery) in order to gather some more inspiration for my book. Since I now know I want to use the techniques of foiling and embossing, as well as a rich and minimal aesthetic overall for my book, I mainly just focused on books that reflect this.

I really liked the cover of the book below because of the way embossing is used on a gloss cover. I hadn't thought about using a gloss cover until I saw this, however i'm not sure how I would do this at uni, it would have to be done somewhere else professionally.


In the first image below, I found the combination of foiling and embossing/debossing extremely effective and unique; the text has been foiled into a de-boss, I would like to do this on my cover so I will research into how I can achieve this. The cover in the second image is similar to the ideas that I have for mine as it uses two different alphabets; English and Korean, I found the composition interesting.


For this book I liked the binding method used (perfect bound) this would be relevant for my book as I am aiming for a clean, minimal aesthetic. However, this method could be a bit too basic.


The books below inspired me in terms of how the double page spreads are laid out and the details of them. The first book uses a set colour palette for the pages and throughout, achieving consistency and an overall style. I really liked how the second book used matte stock combined with satin, unlike typical books that use the same stock throughout.


No comments:

Post a Comment