Thursday 18 October 2018

Laser Cut and Embossing Experiments

Today I began to experiment with embossing and cutting my own designs using the laser cutter, I am planning to use these as an embossing plate. Below are some practice tests that I did on thick card using stencils cut from cereal boxes - the first two patterns are inspired by Arabic mandala shapes. The second two images show one of my cover ideas; Urdu in english and then in Arabic underneath. The Arabic is upside down as it is read in a different way.



The digital cover designs digitally were cut out using the laser cutter, which gave me the exact designs that I wanted, I wouldn't be able to physically cut them this precise and detailed by hand. I used thick mount board as a thicker material gives a better emboss, compared to thin cereal box cardboard. These designs were inspired by the rough cover sketches from my sketchbook.

The mandalas were inspired by patterns seen at mosques and other islamic locations, these patterns are also very popular for clothing and interior design in countries where Urdu is spoken.

The laser cut stencils and shapes turned out extremely well, the small details combined with typography create an effective and rich looking contrast. I will present these at tomorrows group crit with the embossed tests as well. I need feedback on which designs work best to develop and laser-cut next week.

I also think that the stencils would make great print blocks (collagraph print) Im not too sure how that would tie in with the rich aesthetic yet but it is something that I would like to experiment with. Prints could be arranged into the double page spreads to create a contrast between all the typography that will run throughout the book- there is a need for some imagery as most of it is just typography.







No comments:

Post a Comment