Wednesday 24 October 2018

Cover/Binding Issues

As I want to use a hardback cover for my binding method with an embossed and foiled cover design, I was concerned there may be some issues when coming down to using the method of embossing on a hard back cover, as I have never done this before.

Today I went and spoke to the print room tutors for advice on how I would go about doing this. They mentioned that I would just bind my book as a normal hardback bind that would uses buckram, and then glue my embossed cover sheets around to fit perfectly. This would mean that I would have to have my embossed sheets a lot larger than the actual size of the cover so I could fit it around (the size of the actual designs would still be the same). 

When I laser cut my final stencils to emboss, I won't put a border around the design that is the same size as the cover like last time (14.5cm by 10.5cm) I will put an A4 size border around.

I also asked how I would go about using the techniques of embossing and foiling together. I was worried that if I foiled my sheets first and then wet my paper for embossing, the foil would get ruined by the water- however the print technicians mentioned that this wouldn't be an issue as once the foil is on, it stays put. They also mentioned that I could foil and emboss at the exact same time; set up my foiling on the heat press as normal, but slot the emboss designs through at the same time- the heat would emboss the paper whilst foiling it. I will definitely try both methods to see which works best.

No comments:

Post a Comment