Thursday 25 October 2018

Foiling Experimenting

Today I experimented with foiling for the first time using a laminator. I felt that I needed to start my experimenting with foiling, as the workshop to use the heat press won't be for a week or so. Also, I need to start experimenting with combining foiling with embossing for my cover, as I have a laser cut slot booked today for printing the stencils for my possible final cover.

The experiments turned out better than I expected. However, the only issue with this is that some areas of the designs came out a little patchy once foiled but it isn't massively noticeable. I will need to foil using the heat press to see if this is still and issue.

As I want to use two different colours of foil one of the pages on every double page spread throughout my book, I had to carefully cut the appropriate sizes of foil to fit on the specific areas. The two different foil colours would be on the large English letter and the Arabic letter. I used silver and red foil. I really liked the contrast between the two shades, however I also want to try silver and gold together too.



I also foiled some of my mandala pattern designs, these would be used on the front cover/back and possibly throughout the book if appropriate- to create contrast between the typography. This experiment turned out really well.





As I want to combine foiling with embossing for my cover, I embossed and foiled the same design as an experiment to see how they would look. I now need to foil onto card and cartridge paper and then emboss on the same paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment