Friday 2 November 2018

Final Critique

Today we had our final critiques for our books. In the critique, I gave a brief introduction to the concept of my book and then talked through the reasoning of all my experimentation and mocks ups. I also asked for advice on which mockups to use for my final publication, as a lot of the mockups were similar but for example they were experimented with in different colours.

Some of the comments mentioned throughout the critique were about trying new experiments that could possibly link in, this was helpful but I feel like I need to start developing the actual final book now instead of more experimenting. However, I will definitely try out the ideas that I feel were most relevant towards the production of my book, as well as the smaller tweaks.

Critique comments:

-My comments in this colour

  • I mentioned that the inspiration for the patterns comes from mosques and asian clothing/pattern- someone mentioned that I could use a technique in my book that relates to this; e.g. embroidery, relating to clothing such as sari's and furniture/ornaments etc
  • Information books are usually rectangular- maybe try this if it works better? Although the shape I have used is relevant as it needs to be a small travel book
  • The mockup that uses the red foil on the antique white paper is best
  • The red foil on red paper looked interesting- the cover could be red
  • Could possibly use a typeface that looks like Arabic text?
  • The India and Pakistan border shape could somehow be incorporated into the book? (Urdu formed when India and Pakistan became independent) I think a little detailing like this  could look really effective, it could be incorporated into the patterns even
  • Soft back cover looked better and is easier for travellers- Im not sure about this comment as a hard back cover relates more to the rich, minimal aesthetic that I am going for. One of my peers mentioned that I could create a really classy looking cover/sleeve that would go around the soft back publication- it could be made out of fabric which relates back to clothing like sari's, it could be embroidered onto silk for the classy aesthetic

No comments:

Post a Comment