Wednesday 7 November 2018

Tip-ins and Tip-ons Research

Tip-ins and tip-ons; The option to add sized pages to a publication through the use of tip-ins and tip-ons, often using a different stock.

Tip-ins: The attachment of a single page into a publication.

Tip-ons: When a page or other element is pasted into the publication. A tip-in can be located anywhere on the host page and may be of a temporary or a permanent nature.

For my publication, I would quite like to have a tip-in or tip-on at the start of my publication in front of the first page where the English and Arabic alphabets are displayed. The tip in/on would use a different paper stock, most likely gold as the cover uses a red paper stock. The gold paper stock would match the foiling that runs throughout my publication, as well as standing out against the white paper stock that I have used for my pages (G.F Smith, Mohawk Options, Crystal White, 270gsm)

The tip in/top on would inform the reader/travellers briefly about what the language book is about (Celebrating the language Urdu etc...) A short and snappy insight before finding out more about Urdu and the history of it.

When looking through the G.F Smith paper stock book today, I found quite a lot of really rich looking, smooth, gold paper stocks that I could possibly use. I know that the tip in/on will be a thinner weight than the pages, probably 110/120gsm so that it is easily bendable to see the page behind it easily. I compared these stocks next to my white foiled pages to see which ones worked best:




I have now ordered samples of these papers from the G.F Smith website. My favourites are the 'Essence' in Gmund Treasury and the 'Real Gold' in Peregrina Majestic, I think the 'Shimmer' in Gmund Treasury might look a little too tacky, however it is the most gold shade out of the 3. I also ordered the shade 'History' in Gmund Treasury, this shade falls in between 'Essence' and 'Shimmer'.

No comments:

Post a Comment