Thursday 8 November 2018

Final Pages Production

I have now printed and foiled my final pages that I will use for my book. For the paper stock, I ordered two from G.F Smith to choose from; Accent Smooth, Glacier White, 200gsm and Mohawk Options, Crystal White, 270gsm. I tried out sample pages using both stocks to see which was most relevant for my book as well as the one that foiled best.


I decided to go with Mohawk Options, Crystal White in 270gsm as I felt it was most appropriate for the aesthetic that I want to achieve in my book; rich and clean. The thickness gives a rich and durable look, also the colour 'Crystal White' matches well with the white silk that I will use for my embroidered pouch. This paper stock also foiled better than the Accent Smooth paper stock.

I am happy with how these pages turned out as the foiling worked a lot better on this paper as this paper was smoother than what I already experimented on. Some areas of the foil were still a tiny bit patchy, however this issue can't be helped when foiling at Uni...in the real world, I would get my pages made professionally in an industrial place so the foiling would be perfect and crisp. An example of a company that would I could use for foiling my book professionally  is ‘Blurb’ ; they offer custom book printing options. For foil stamping, blurb offers gold (shiny and dull), silver, black, or white as standard colours for print on demand projects. Other colours are available as a special order. Additionally, the foiling technique that Blurb use, consists of using a heated dye; The foil adheres to the book cover surface leaving the design of the die on the paper.

I have folded and trimmed the pages down using a paper folding device and a guillotine, ready to be bound with the cover. The size of the cover will be slightly bigger in order to separate it from the pages and to make it stand out more.





No comments:

Post a Comment